Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Gravitational Pull of Spain

To ease the pain of my yearning for Spain, I wallowed in a delicious dinner of Spanish cuisine.

First, I prepared a lovely salad of spicy arugula (from the Memphis Farmer's Market, wow), young manchego cheese, shallot, Las Brisas Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil, heirloom tomato, sherry vinegar and Maldon Sea Salt. The best sea salt EVER!!!



We paired the salad with Ventana Riesling from Arroyo Seco Monterey. The bright acidity and off-dry nature was a perfect counterbalance with the sweet acid in the Sherry vinegar. The Riesling also cut through the richness of the cheese and stood up to the spice in the arugula.

The star dish of the night was my grandmother's recipe (Thank you Ta!) Paella. I tweaked it a bit because I can't just leave well enough alone. The Paella was filled with brown arborio rice, fresh clams, spanish chorizo, fresh shrimp, saffron, red pepper, garlic, tomato, onion, wine and edamame (sorry ta, I didn't know I had sweet peas in the freezer).



The paella was perfect with a 2003 Bacio Divino Pazzo (thanks Richie and Megan!), a blend of Sangiovese, Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. It's rich earthiness and bright fruit flowed perfectly into the heady earthiness of the saffron. It was a bit much for the clams but I still had a bit of the Riesling left to drink with that. The chorizo's spicy garlicy deliciousness made the fruit in the wine explode! Incredible.

This meal was a nice salve for my open wounds. A good meal can always make me feel better, and transport back to where I want to be.

5 comments:

Collin said...

That Paella looks fantastic, as well as the salad.

I guess you heard Spain is Memphis In May country next year...you wouldn't happen to be on the MIM board, would you? ;)

Cheers,
Collin

Michael Hughes said...

I wish I was on the MIM board! There are numerous Spanish chefs and winemakers I would love to bring over.

Michael Hughes said...

Thanks for the winelibrary link. I will definitely check it out!

Michael Hughes said...

I wish I was on the MIM board! There are numerous Spanish chefs and winemakers I would love to bring over.

La C. said...

that looks fantastic. MMMMMmmmm. Now I won't be able to rest until I have paella of my own.