Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Great Grape?


I have the pleasure of tasting many wines on a regular basis. I always keep notes because if not, they are sometimes difficult to recall. However, sometimes there are wines that are unforgettable. Two such wines, who both happen to be the same varietal, happened upon me very recently.

Kelly & I were craving a good bottle. I decided to pop open a 2002 Neyers Hudson Vineyard Syrah from Napa Valley. The at the core of the glass was a deep black color with barely any hints of ruby at the rim. On the nose was heady aromas of blueberry soaked bacon, smoke & black olive. The palate also exhibited blueberry, bacon & black olive with medium grade, very integrated tannins. It was slightly hot on the finish, which blew off as it sat in the glass. Outstanding.

2005 Montes Alpha Syrah Apalta Vineyard from Colchagua Valley, Chile. Wow...seriously wow. The nose was doses of licorice, blueberry jam & dried ham. It was expressive on the nose but not overpowering, more leaning towards elegance. My goodness, what a rich, round palate, but balanced & beautiful as well. The wine is medium bodied with firm tannins, blue & black fruits & a nice long finish that lingers with fresh acidity & licorice.

I love syrah when its done well.

No comments: