Friday, December 18, 2009

Aged Oregon Riesling

I couldn't stop thinking about it. It kind of haunted me. Back in July while I was at Argyle Winery for a white wine seminar during Pinot Camp. Rollin Soles, the winemaker/owner, waxed poetic about a '88 riesling that he popped a week before. He was trying to make a point about the ageability of riesling in Oregon. All wanted was some of that wine! So I raised my hand & asked him to go fetch a bottle so we could taste it for ourselves. He laughed & said he'd try to fish one out of the cellar. After the seminar we dug into lunch & I sort of forgot about the '88 since I was STARVING! The National Sales Manager, Chris, came over to my table & poured me a glass of wine. It was the '88!! Ever since then I've been lusting after some good, aged riesling.

Lo & behold! What did I come across today? Some Argyle 1996 Riesling! I was a little sketched out by it at first because it appeared as if it might have leaked. But I popped it open anyway & poured myself a glass. Its a beautiful straw, gold in the glass. On the nose I get petrol, preserved lemon, dried apricot & lemon curd. The palate is creamy but zingy with acidity, a little hazelnut & a menthol. I'm super impressed with how this has held up. The finish just hangs on & on & on! My mouth is salivating for more.

No comments: