Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Something I've Never Had Before



Has anyone ever drank a negrette? Ever heard of it? Neither had I. I'm so glad that there are still surprises out there for me because I sometimes think I'm a little jaded when it comes to wine. A wine list is set down in front of me & more than likely I'm bored with it. However, I digress.

At Joe's we recently tasted Chateau La Colombiere Coste Rouge 2006 made from 100% negrette. It's from a small family producer that farms biodynamically in the Southwest of France near Toulouse. When I stuck my nose in the glass I immediately was hit with wild herb, earth, dried red fruits & a bit of gaminess. The palate is medium bodied, gripping & sensually textured. This wine is definitely something that I felt rather than thought about. I did, however, quickly start thinking about what I wanted to eat with it. Roasted game birds, sausages, olives, grilled eggplant spread....

There is very little left of this wine & once its gone I'm not sure if it will return given that the importer will not be bringing it in anymore. Check it out at Joe's while you can.

3 comments:

901Life said...

Nice blog. Want more followers? We invite you to add your blog posts with a link to your blog page. More exposure for your Memphis related blog made easy... www.901Life.com

Samantha Dugan said...

I adore coming across things like this. So much fun when you can feed your inner wine geek and also teach your customers something new...love it.

Michael Hughes said...

Sam-you're so right. I love that it gets me going but its approachable enough for those not so "curious".