Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Tasting Through The Valley



Waking up to a vineyard just makes me speechless...yeah right. Coffee on the deck overlooking the vines in the pic above is something I'll remember forever. However, as much as I could have lounged on the deck I wanted to get out & taste the Valley. We arrived late to our appt to Archery Summit Vineyards which is completely embarrassing. Chris, our host, gave us some decent ribbing about our lateness but lightened up after a bit & we had a good time. The Vireton rosé had a bright, blushing tone with nice fruit, good texture & a tingling acidity. It was an eye opening experience to see a behind the scenes tour of AS. Having spent a bit of time there for a seminar during last year's Pinot Camp It was nice to have a little one on one time. The winery was quiet given the time of year, almost hushed. One of the coolest things we saw the whole trip was AS' concrete egg that they use to ferment the minuscule amount of pinot gris they produce....seriously, tiny tiny production. Winemaker Anna Matzinger's attention to detail & passion is so evident in each sip of her pinot noir. Whether the Premier Cuvee or, my personal favorite, Renegade Ridge Vineyard what I taste is balance & beauty. Leaving Archery I felt like I had a better understanding of a winery that has always been on my radar. I wish I could get some more of that Vireton rosé here in Memphis. It's peaking over 100 degrees & I need some good pink wine to quench my thirst!

1 comment: