Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Year in Tastes pt 5



This gorgeous bottle, but crappy picture, is a lovely Bordeaux style blend from fellow Tennessean Christian Sparkman. Christian & Kelly Sparkman are rising stars in the wine world & produce very expressive & bold wines from some of the best vineyards in Washington.



California does produce quite nice wine. Even I, the Pacific Northwest freak, have to admit that. However, the quality for what you pay is not on the same level as Oregon & Washington. This bad boy is pushing $65 & is absolutely delicious....however is it worth $65? I'll let y'all be the judge.



This was one of my favorite finds of 2010. Arneis has been one of my go to "unique & interesting" wines for awhile but this one....wow. Seriously, it's outstanding. Bright, crisp acidity, citrus & stone fruit with a hint of herb & marzipan. Out of this world. Thank you Currado Family for producing one of my favorites.



Three friends brought three bottles. That's usually how it goes. These three, killer. Totally killer. A Barolo with some age on it is like no other. Incredibly expressive & sensual. Dolcetto "the little sweet one" is usually pleasant, but this one was more than just pleasant. It had a ballsy grip that some dolcettos just lack. Ponzi, my dear Ponzi rosato. What is there to say that I haven't already said? I can't wait for summer to roll around so I can get my hands on some more.

3 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

I feel the same way about California wines; sure I can find something I like....like quite a bit as a matter of fact but damn, they are so freaking expensive! The stuff on the value level however tends to be just "too" for me so my daily drinkers always come from France or Italy.

Michael Hughes said...

I wish I had more access to good value French wines. I have my stable of favorites but I need more more more!

Michael Hughes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.