Monday, June 07, 2010

How Sweet

I just recently re-tasted a pinot noir that I have had before but sort of forgot about. Belle Glos has a sort of second label pinot called Meiomi. Last night a friend brought over a bottle of the 2008 Meiomi Pinot Noir to enjoy over a nice meal & a book discussion. Sipping on this wine immediately brought to my mind the discussion of sweetness whether perceived or actual. The way I see it brix levels & residual sugar may be examined & show that a wine is technically "dry". However, I feel that perception is more important. To me this pinot noir is all about sweet fruit. Anything resembling texture or spice is secondary. This is obviously a "crowd pleaser" type of wine that is not really wanting to have a personality so much as just be considered "good" by a majority. What signifies good? Well I think most people will taste sweet fruit & say "I like this". So perhaps they've achieved good. To me its rather uninteresting & boring but then again I always want more. Texture, acidity, spice, fruit etc. I find it interesting that this wine seems to be so desired. Its on restaurant lists, on the shelf at most stores. So I guess it begs the question "Is this really want wine drinkers want?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Hughes said...

Hernande-please translate.

王周宏儒 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.