Monday, May 03, 2010

Weekend Wine

My friend Darlene had been wanting to have Kelly & I over for dinner for quite some time now. Schedules just kept getting in the way unfortunately. Darlene, her husband Jack, Bette & her husband Henry & myself all share an intense passion for Washington State wines. Darlene turned me on to Five Star Cellars in Walla Walla. Their distinctive, gripping & delicious cabernet sauvignon got my juices flowing & made me want to get out to Washington immediately. After coordinating a date for dinner the time was finally upon us. Kelly & I arrived at Darlene's gorgeous Evergreen District home & settled in with a glass of August Briggs Pinot Meunier. it was brimming with pomegranate & spice. So good! Next up was Basel Cellars Merriment. Here was my love. The aroma of a gorgeous Washington State Bordeaux blend is unmistakable. There is something about that dark, sensual core of musky fruit & earth that grabs ahold of me.

We sat down to a lovely dinner of roasted beef tenderloin, herbed potatoes & roasted vegetables. A simply prepared meal is sometimes the best. Darlene opened a Cougar Crest Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 to pair with the beef. This stunning bottle of wine is a perfect example of the age-ability of WA State wines. It was luscious, round, gripping, the tannins had integrated into the voluptuous body so seamlessly. I just kept going back to the glass & found something new each time. I was in love.

No comments: