Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Recent Vino

I've had some quite amazing wines recently, that I have never had before. Lucky me, right?

Gruet Demi-Sec NV, New Mexico:
nose: light toastiness, yeasty, brioche french toast with plum preserves
palate: lightly fruity, crisp white cranberry, acidity is evident but soft

I was very pleasantly surprised with this sparkler. The winery was founded by two Champenoise, don't ask me why they settled on New Mexico. I think the term Demi-sec will be misleading to some because of its low amount of residual sugar (only 2.5g/l). To me it was less sweet than Moet's White Star.

Coturri Lost Creek Vineyard Yorkville Highlands Pinot Noir 2001:
nose: hazelnut, mixed wild berry compote, lavender, crushed fresh dirt
palate: hazelnut carries over, wild blackberry, earth, pomegranate molasses, sour cherry

Coturri never ceases to blow my mind and take my palate for a roller coaster ride. We had just drank '98 Nuits St Georges before this, what an amazing contrast. To me, drinking Coturri wines is like drinking wine made one hundred years ago. They are non-interventionists.

Feudi di San Gregorio Piano di Monte Vergine 1999:
nose: black currant, vanilla, light balsamic, dried rosemary, black raspberry and blueberry
palate: full mouthfeel with lively ripe tannins, big, brawny, earthy and voluptuous

Kelly summed this up perfectly by saying "this is exactly the kind of wine I like. I don't like my wine to hide".

1 comment:

Benito said...

Thanks for the note on the Gruet--I'm headed to New Mexico next month and had been told to check out their sparklers.