Friday, April 30, 2010

A Calm Little Friday

Sometimes all I want to do after a long week is just kick back on the couch, listen to some music & relax a with a couple glasses of wine. This breezy, overcast Friday is just perfect for that & I had a few wines that I'd been dying to try. I flipped open my MacBook & bought the new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album that I've been DYING to hear. For those of you who don't know this band I highly recommend that you go check them out immediately. Think T Rex meets early Jesus & Mary Chain. Good music, now time for some good wine.

The first one I popped open was Manoir de la Tete Rouge Chapitre 9 2006 Saumur. Ahhh, there is nothing like the Loire Valley. The savory, salty, mineral tinge is something that just can't be replicated. It has this slightly waxy texture that is incredibly unique & pleasing. I just kept going back to glass again & again. The earthy, savory quality is something I don't get a lot of but I wish I did.



Up next was one of my New World friends. Tandem Van Der Kamp Vineyard Pinot Noir 2005 Sonoma Mountain. It was rich with pungent cherry fruit, hints of smoke, vanilla, & bit of mushroom & cola. The texture is luscious & palate filling. Very masculine pinot here. I can easily see pairing this with duck confit or even lamb.

3 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

Saumur Blanc is such an incredible wine and you nailed it with that salty, savory waxy comment. Not wines you can just give anyone but in the right customer's hand and they will lose their mind....sexy, those wines are just damn sexy.

Michael Hughes said...

Sexy is the PERFECT way to describe them! I know what you mean about falling into the wrong hands. Some people just might not get into these wines at all. But the ones who do will fall in love....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.