Saturday, June 05, 2010

One Good, One...eh

Yesterday we popped a few bottles. We get a lot of samples at the shop & sometimes they start to pile up. It was time to make a dent in them.

First we opened Coeur Esterelle Rosé 2009 Cotes de Provence $16.99 at Joe's Wines. Just looking at the gorgeous pale salmon, onion skin color made me all happy & warm & fuzzy. It was one of those wines that I just couldn't help but stare at. However, I can't stare too long without getting thirsty.



In the glass it was bright, refreshing, crisp & mouthwatering. It had great notes of dried strawberry, tarragon & nice minerality. I could easily drink this down on a hot day out on the patio....or in the nice cool air conditioning.

The next bottle we popped was the Turnbull Old Bull Red 2007 Napa Valley. There are certain properties I come to expect a lot from & Turnbull is one of them. This bottle was unfortunately not an indication of their consistent quality. It was out of balance with too much fruit, alcohol & viscosity. I don't care what anyone else says about residual sugar or whatever--this wine was sweet. Fruit is one thing & sweetness is another. Without balance a wine cannot hide anything & unfortunately all I tasted were its flaws.

No comments: