Sunday, September 05, 2010

Re-igniting a love affair

I'm not saying that I've forsaken it much less forgotten. It's been there but maybe just asleep.

One sip of this sensual & beautiful bottle got my juices flowing & made me remember why I love that country so much. When I first started working at Joe's Wines & Liquors I didn't know jack shit about Italian wine. Well maybe a little but not enough to fill a page. After a few years I thought of myself as not necessarily an expert just overwhelmingly passionate about this country's produce. They can be so many different things. Soft & easy & a perfect Tuesday wine or bold, gripping, powerful & something that needs aging. Even though I love the entire country's offerings my heart lies with sangiovese grosso. When crafted as Brunello di Montalcino it is round, moderately tannic, spicy, herbaceous, with dark red fruit & gorgeous acidity. Rosso di Montalcino can have that too although not as complex. However, thats why I love the RdMs so much because I know I can grab one, pop it open & its ready for me. I don't have to lay it down & salivate over when to open it.

Thank you Casanova di Neri Rosso di Casanova di Neri for making me remember why I love Italy so much.

No comments: